|"My Last Day"|
|◄ Season One, Episode Twenty-Four ►|
|Writer||Gabrielle Allan, Mike Schwartz|
|Air Date||May 21, 2002 on|
| Watch this episode:|
- “Despite the fact that when you wake up tomorrow morning you will be a resident, you'll still be the same excitable little girl that you are right now; the only difference will be that some sorry new intern will probably mistake you for somebody who actually knows something.”— Dr. Cox
"My Last Day" is the twenty-fourth and final episode of Scrubs' first season. It's J.D.'s last day as an intern and is reminded of everything that has happened in the last year. Elliot reveals to Jordan that the whole hospital knows that she and Dr. Cox still have sex. The main trio try to get rid of Frank Bober, an annoying patient who has no insurance and doesn't need surgery.
J.D. can't sleep as his last day as an intern begins. When he gets up, he is reminded of everything that has happened in the past year, Dr. Cox being in love with Carla, Turk knowing about it, J.D. sleeping with Jordan, J.D.'s relationship with Elliot, and all the characters in the show. Arriving at the hospital, Dr. Cox really doesn't care about J.D.'s last day, and is instead preoccupied with a job opportunity by Dr. Kelso, who wants him to stop bothering him about the monetary issues.
J.D., Elliot and Turk all try to pawn off Mr. Bober, an annoying patient, on each other but when they realize none of them cared enough to remembered what Mr. Bober looked like, they realize just how insensitive they had become. When Elliot gives Jordan a physical, Jordan deduces that she is still in love with J.D. and gives her hell about it until Elliot snaps at her and says that the whole hospital knows that Dr. Cox and Jordan still have sex, leading Jordan to another realization. Since Mr. Bober doesn't have insurance and does not seriously need surgery, J.D., Turk and Elliot decide to do something about it. J.D. goes to Dr. Cox who agrees to help him and compliments J.D. on the doctor he is becoming. Turk and Carla go to Dr. Wen who agrees to leave a surgery slot open and Elliot goes back to Jordan to try to convince her to back the decision on behalf of the board but she refuses to.
When Jordan is at Perry's apartment for a "predictable" booty call, he tells her that he didn't ask for her help with Mr. Bober because she is predictable, and that she needs to stir it up. The next day in the cafeteria, Jordan spills the beans on everybody's secrets: that Dr. Cox is in love with Carla Espinosa and Turk hasn't told her, that the position Dr. Kelso offered Perry was filled, that Elliot still had feelings for J.D., and she finally reveals to Perry that she slept with J.D. the first time they met.
Recurring Themes Edit
- When looking in the mirror, J.D. sees Elliot, The Todd, Dr. Kelso, Jordan, Dr. Cox, Turk, Carla, Ted, and Laverne talking to him about events that have happened over the past year. When he opens the shower, Janitor appears and complains that he isn't one of his "mirror friends" and takes J.D.'s shower head.
- J.D. and Laverne getting roped into Carla and Turk's argument.
- Feeling guilty about trying to get rid of Mr. Bober, J.D. imagines that everybody in the cafeteria is Mr. Bober.
Janitor story Edit
On J.D.'s first day as a resident, Janitor congratulates him and calls him "Tiger" (something he wished people would call him.) He doesn't accept his handshake, and leaves in disbelief that the Janitor thought he helped J.D. through his first year. Janitor picks on a new intern like he did with J.D. after the new intern suggests a paperclip could be the cause of a door jam. This new intern has never been seen again, but it can be assumed that Janitor torments this intern throughout his career at Sacred Heart as much as he does with J.D. (Penny) ("My First Day")
J.D.'s Girl Names Edit
Guest Stars Edit
- "Away" by Leroy
- "Beautiful World" by Colin Hay
- “You can't have sex with someone you care about; sex is for making babies or having revenge.”— Jordan
- “If you lay one finger on me, I'm blowing my rape whistle!”— Elliot
- “Oh come on Perry. No soft spot for the one woman who slept with you sober?”— Jordan
- “I'm a little doormat, I sit and I stay. I let people use me every single day.”— Jordan
- It is revealed in the DVD commentary that if Scrubs wasn't renewed for a second season (something the creators were almost sure would happen), it would've been revealed in this episode as a series finale twist that Janitor was a figment of J.D.'s imagination.
- The beginning of this episode mirrors the beginning of the pilot, "My First Day".
- When Turk and Carla are arguing, J.D. has a fantasy in which Turk and Carla literally rope him into their argument. Even though J.D. is supposed to be roped, when the rope goes around his body it is seen that the hands are African-American.
- Although in many episodes Dr. Cox tells J.D. that he will never give him a hug, in this episode (even though he is being sarcastic), Dr. Cox gives J.D. a hug on account of it being his last day as an intern.
- In this episode, Carla finds out that Dr. Cox is attracted her, and that Turk knew this beforehand. However, in "My Quarantine", it is revealed that Carla and Dr. Cox went out on a date before she met Turk. Because of this, Carla should know or assume that Dr. Cox is attracted to her.
- It is possible that Carla assumed that Dr. Cox had moved on, and no longer has feelings for her.
- The conversation Janitor has with a new intern at the end of the episode mirrors the conversation he had with J.D. when he was an intern in "My First Day".
- The patient, Mr. Bober, reappears in "My Brother, Where Art Thou?". However, by that point he has serious dementia and can only say the word "pickles".
- Title explanation: It's J.D.'s last day as an intern.
|SEASON ONE EPISODES|
|Episodes: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 w • 9|