- “Wow, you must be dancing on the wind right now! That sounded straighter in my head...”— J.D.
"My Friend the Doctor" is the eighth episode of Scrubs' third season. J.D. tries to stop the Janitor from tricking everyone into thinking he is someone he is not. Turk becomes the stud of the hospital after a successful surgery. Elliot doesn't feel like a doctor, and wants to save someones life to feel like one. Dr. Cox hurts his back while showing off and realizes he is getting old.
When Turk performs a successful surgery, he is the stud of the hospital, but Dr. Cox doesn't like Turk getting all the attention, so upstages him on the basketball court by performing a dunk but when he lands his back starts hurting. After Turk does so well in surgery, Elliot says she still doesn't feel like a doctor. The Janitor is tricking everyone in the hospital into thinking he is someone who he is not, and J.D. wants him to stop pretending to be someone else. Dr. Cox confides in Carla about his back so she can help him recover, but Carla wants him to own up, but he refuses because it will make him look old. Then that night Jordan comes up to Dr. Cox and says they haven't had enough sex recently and that she wants to have sex in a physically-demanding position, and Cox knows, despite the pain, he will have to have sex or Jordan would know something was wrong.
Meanwhile J.D. was watching The Fugitive with Carla and Danni and sees Janitor in one scene, and believes Janitor is actually an actor. Elliot feels that she needs to save someones life and get the thanks from their family to feel like a doctor, and the opportunity arrives when she gets an emergency code and runs down the hall towards where a patient needs emergency help but J.D. catches her up from behind her and gets to the patient first and J.D. gets all the thanks. Carla and Dr. Cox discuss Dr. Cox's back and Dr. Cox thinks he is too old to bring up a baby would look like a "weird old guy", and Carla decides she would prefer a baby early, and thinks she is ready now, although Turk isn't. Then Elliot gets another code and runs to get to it, but again J.D. catches up and gets to the door first, but he waits at the door and lets Elliot take care of it. Even though the patient dies, Elliot feels like a doctor as she leaves the hospital. Carla and Dr. Cox then both admit they are old and getting older and know they have to accept it. Meanwhile, after refusing to confirm J.D.'s theory about his past acting career, the Janitor confirms it when J.D. admits that he wanted the actor to be the Janitor because it would make him more human and show that he had used to have dreams and ambitions, even if they didn't work out.
- Turk jumps out a moving car when Carla suggests they should have a baby, as Turk was the driver, Carla and J.D. go off a bridge and crash. The crash scene is from Vanilla Sky.
- As Turk walks through the hospital, everyone sings about him and praises him as he is the "stud" of the hospital.
- J.D. keeps thinking of himself and Elliot kissing. When he is supposed to think of Sean kissing Elliot, Sean turns out to be J.D.. And when he is supposed to think of Turk and Elliot kissing, Turk turns out to be a black J.D.
- Elliot has a small beard (from overdosing on birth control pills) and has to shave it before her homecoming date arrives.
- J.D. brings a patient to a formal reunion, so when the other people are boasting about their lives, J.D. can say "This is Mr. Booker, he's alive because of me".
Janitor is pretending to be different people in front of other people. He claims he is "Klaus" the German with Doug, "Nigel" a British man with Todd and Efrem who has a stutter with another doctor. J.D. doesn't like this and tries to stop Janitor but he won't. Later that day, J.D. is watching The Fugitive and sees the Janitor in a scene and comes to the conclusion that Janitor is an actor, and when he confronts Janitor about this, he is told that Janitor picked being a janitor over being an actor.
Episode Running Gags
- Enrique Iglesias' "Hero" plays when Dr. Cox hurts his back attempting to do various things in slow motion.
- J.D. is having a "gay day" accidentally saying various feminine or homoerotic phrases.
- Charles Chun as Dr. Wen
- Adrian Armas as Handsome Man
- Adam Biesk as Guy
- Bernie Kopell as Mr. Moran
- Donald Sage Mackay as Dr. Page
- Sam Menning as Mr. Booker
- Tara Reid as Danni Sullivan
- Yolanda Snowball as Woman (My Friend the Doctor)
- Sheila Wills as Wife (My Friend the Doctor)
- Debbie Heimowitz as Nurse
- "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" by U2
- "Theme from Shaft" originally by Isaac Hayes, parody performed by Donald Faison and cast
- "Empty Room" by Brian Paturalski
- "Hero" by Enrique Iglesias
- "William Tell Overture" by Gioacchino Rossini.
- "Someone" by Tammany Hall NYC
- “How's about we skip the insults and you do something helpful like prop me up, or throw on a skirt.”— Dr. Cox, as he is lying on the floor
- “I thought you said there was going to be some bitches here?”— Mr. Booker
- “Relax! We just got here!”— J.D.
- “Relax! We just got here!”— J.D.
- “Back injuries are for 80 year old guys named Norman who have pants up to here, nose hairs down to here, and start every sentence with a very elegant...<loud, gross sniff and hacking cough>”— Dr. Cox
- “Carla, I have a six-month-old child. I'm going to be one of those weird old guys who brings my son down to the park where everybody is like, "Hmm, is he the dad, is he the granddad, is he the granddad's granddad...? And oh my God, why is he pushing a traffic cone on the swing while his five-year-old little boy is in the mud, crying? Is... is he taunting the little boy? No, he can't even see the little boy. And now look - he's actually taking the traffic cone, putting it in the minivan, and driving away while the little boy cries, and the traffic cone sits quietly and watches Finding Nemo on DVD.”— Dr. Cox
- The scene in the beginning of the car driving off the bridge is footage from the movie Vanilla Sky, a 2001 psychological thriller. In order to use this footage, they had to use the same make and model of car, despite the fact that Malik, the car the characters usually drive, is a different one.
- In the same fantasy, after Turk gets hit by the car, he falls out of view behind another car, but when that car accelerates, Turk is mysteriously gone.
- Janitor's portrayer, Neil Flynn, did have a small role in The Fugitive. This spawned much fan speculation that the character's name was Neil Flynn.
- As Klaus, the Janitor says "Why is your Lake Titicaca not filled with boobs and poop?" the word "your" implying that Lake Titicaca is in the United States. Lake Titicaca is in South America, on the border of Peru and Bolivia. However, this is still part of the Americas, which could be considered related from the perspective of the European Klaus.
- Dr. Cox narrates a line when he lands from the basketball hoop and hurts his back.
- The Todd reveals he is 25% British.
- It is revealed that Dr. Cox is Irish.
- After saving a patient's life, J.D. says to the family "Oh please, I put my pants on one leg at a time, just like you guys... except after I put my pants on, I save your husband's life! Oh, no he didn't!". This is a reference to a Saturday Night Live Skit featuring Christopher Walken, in which he says that he puts his pants on one leg at a time, except when they are on, he makes gold records.