|Dr. Elliot Reid|
|Portrayed by|| Sarah Chalke|
|Occupation||Doctor of Internal Medicine|
|Employer|| Private Practice out of |
New Sacred Heart Hospital
|Relationship||Married to J.D.|
|Children|| Unnamed Daughter|
Sammy Dorian (step-son)
|"My First Day" ••• "Our Stuff Gets Real"|
|Pictures of Elliot|
- “I probably ended up in medicine because I wanted to take care of the whole world. But here is the crazy thing about being a doctor: you can't even take care of a single patient unless you learn how to take care of yourself first.”— Elliot ("Our New Girl-Bro")
Dr. Elliot Reid is an endocrinology expert working in a private practice out of New Sacred Heart Hospital. She began as an intern at the original Sacred Heart, where she continued her residency. She left briefly to pursue a fellowship but ended up back at Sacred Heart, where she shortly after entered private practice.
Elliot is married to long-time on-again-off-again love interest J.D.. She is best friends with Carla Espinosa and is good friends with Carla's husband and Elliot's colleague Chris Turk, J.D.'s best friend. She struggled to get the respect of Dr. Cox and Dr. Kelso, but is a competent doctor and they professionally respect her. She has never had trouble getting the attention of Janitor, who has always had a fancy for her.
Besides flashbacks and fantasies, Elliot is portrayed by Sarah Chalke. She appears in 170 of Scrubs' 181 episodes, and was a main character for the first eight seasons. Elliot first appeared in the pilot episode "My First Day" and last appeared in "Our Stuff Gets Real" as pregnant with J.D.'s daughter. It is assumed she has since had the baby.
Elliot is the daughter of Simon and Lily Reid. Elliot grew up in a very privileged life in Greenwich, CT but her parents were never around to love her. Her mother verbally abused and humiliated her and her father pushed her into medicine. She suggests she is of German descent. ("My Rite of Passage") She grew up on an orchard and was raised by her housemaid Consuela. She claims that she was named "Elliot" because her parents expected a boy. Elliot has 4 brothers who are all doctors, but only 2 are known: Barry who is gay, and Bradley. She also has a Great Aunt Sally and a Great-Uncle, whom J.D. has met. She has a Great Aunt Lillian. She has a cousin named Layla who is a "fatty-fatty-fatty". Her second year at Sacred Heart, Elliot refused to follow the specialty her father desired, and he cut her off financially. ("My Lucky Day") She has also shown Dr. Kelso that she refuses to follow typical female doctors who end up in family practice or as maternity doctors. Elliot is a proud Republican, and often receives grief about it from her co-workers.
History at Sacred HeartEdit
At Sacred Heart Hospital, Elliot began as an intern and later became a resident. She served as Chief Resident with J.D., but was not forced to be called "Co-Chief" as he was. At the end of her fourth year at Sacred Heart, she briefly left to take on an endocrinology fellowship at North County University Medical Center, which lasted only 5 days. After a brief and miserable stint working at a free clinic, she returned to Sacred Heart and became a senior attending physician, but soon entered private practice. ("My Coffee") Dr. Cox and Dr. Kelso are upset that she is in private practice, but she stands by her decision. ("My House") She continued working out of Sacred Heart, and even though she was in private practice she led rounds and mentored interns. When New Sacred Heart opened, Elliot made the switch. ("Our First Day of School") She told Turk that given the chance to sustain herself financially without the need to work, she would leave medicine because she finds it hard to give people news that they cannot hope to recover from. ("My Full Moon") She is currently on maternity leave from Sacred Heart. ("Our Stuff Gets Real")
Elliot often tells long, seemingly pointless stories and has numerous very disturbing quirks about her. Many of these stories are about her many family members, and often these stories end with someone's death. Her voice gets really high pitched and squeaky when she gets upset, sometimes to the point when her words become gibberish. Often, Carla is needed to snap her out of panic attacks about minuscule possibilities.
Elliot refused to say certain body organs or sex terms, and refers to them as "bajingos," "hoo hoos," "patootie" and "intercourse". Elliot gives differing stories for her sexual experience. Sometimes she conveys herself to have little knowledge of sex while sometimes she talks about how many different men she has been with. She also fantasizes about old men and cider houses.
J.D. is Elliot's husband and they have a little girl together. After meeting on their first day at Sacred Heart, they were around each other enough to get to know each other quickly. ("My First Day") J.D. was infatuated with her, but she was busy with her new job. ("My Best Friend's Mistake") After trying to drag him away from the drug-addict Alex Hanson, Elliot and J.D. soon became a couple. It was ill-fated and they soon broke up. ("My Bed Banter & Beyond") However, it was obvious that they still harbored feelings for each other. ("My Last Day")
They later take a swing at being "sex buddies", but their feelings muddled that arrangement. ("My Monster") When things start to get serious with Sean, Elliot learns from J.D. that he still loves her and they rekindle the flame. ("My Fault") However J.D. realizes that he only wanted what he couldn't have and ruins the relationship. ("My Self-Examination")
After taking some time to forgive J.D. their friendship eventually grows strong again. However, due to the large amount of work required by their jobs they rarely have time for each other, even while being roommates. ("My Day at the Races") J.D. renews harbored feelings for Elliot when she gets close to marrying Keith, resulting in a near kiss. ("My Point of No Return") The kiss was averted, but they still had to have a serious talk about how things are going to be between them. ("My Princess")
After being best friends again for some time, J.D. and Elliot began dating again, when Dr. Kelso noted that they do everything a traditional couple does---except have sex. They talk about their previous mistakes and finally come to the conclusion that it's actually a good idea to date again. ("My Happy Place") J.D. professed to Elliot in the Bahamas that he even loves her more than he loves Turk. ("My Soul on Fire, Part 2")
Carla Espinosa and Elliot are best friends, who connect strongly based on their gender. After a rocky start due to Elliot's seemingly rude attitude to Carla, Carla and Elliot soon become resources for each other in the male-dominated Sacred Heart. Carla plays the part of mentor to Elliot. They often share advice with each other, although Carla seems to give more to Elliot than she returns. Elliot is more independent in her career than in her personal life, and some decisions have left Carla angry. ("My Changing Ways")
Christopher Turk and Elliot grew out of mutual friends into a full-blown friendship. Turk's relationships with J.D. and Carla meant that he was usually present when Elliot was conversing with J.D. or Carla. They share secret handshakes, dances, and other traditions with each other. ("My Heavy Meddle") Their friendship had always been assumed due to their close ties to J.D. and Carla, but if they were at odds with another friend Elliot could count on Turk to be there. ("My Coffee")
Dr. Cox Edit
Dr. Cox and Elliot don't like each other as people, but respect each other as doctors. Dr. Cox was just as rude to Elliot as he was to J.D. when they first came to Sacred Heart, but her knowledge and ability have spoken better than her babbling can. ("My First Day") ("My Blind Date") She resents Cox making J.D. as his protégée and virtually disregarding her. Although he mocks her for simple mistakes, blond hair, Dr. Cox will genuinely help if she needs it. ("My Big Mouth") ("My Moment of Un-Truth") Dr. Cox isn't one to hand out compliments, but he once told Elliot she was better than J.D., and stands up for her early career decisions by punching Dr. Kelso in the face. ("My Ocardial Infarction") ("My Dream Job") However, when Elliot decides to move to private practice, Dr. Cox declares that he has lost all respect for her. ("My Coffee") They seem to have moved past it, and continue to work together around the hospital and university.
Elliot is the only weakness of the Janitor because she actually treats him like a person. Janitor never really pranks Elliot because he is too focused on J.D., but has always seemed to be infatuated with her. He calls her "Blonde Doctor" (because he doesn't know her real name) and at times seems to stand up for her. When Elliot has a makeover, Janitor bets Dr. Cox that they will be dating. ("My Best Laid Plans") When Elliot learns of the bet, she pretends to date Janitor, but they never really enter a relationship. Janitor was invited by Elliot to her and Keith's wedding.
Dr. Kelso Edit
Although everybody is hated by Dr. Kelso, Elliot seems to receive more of his wrath than anybody. As an intern and resident Elliot was terrified to make mistakes during rounds or with a patient because she didn't want to be humiliated or yelled at by Dr. Kelso. The two were never on a good foot with each other, but when Elliot became private practice she was literally ignored by Kelso until she confessed that she wouldn't have progressed in her career without the help of Sacred Heart and him. ("My Friend with Money") ("My No Good Reason")
Elliot and Keith Dudemeister were engaged, but she broke off the wedding. The two met when Keith was an intern at Sacred Heart, and soon became "sex buddies". ("My Intern's Eyes") ("My Buddy's Booty") The sex escalated into a full relationship and Keith eventually proposed. ("My Cold Shower") The two are extremely happy, but when Elliot thinks about their relationship more, she realizes it is either too fast or not right and calls off the wedding, changes her mind, then reverses her decision again, leaving Keith emotionally shattered and furious. ("My Own Worst Enemy") A year later, after many insults were yelled by Keith, Elliot apologizes to Keith for not taking time to understand how much she really hurt him. ("My Jerks")
Sean Kelly Edit
Elliot and Sean Kelly were romantically involved, until J.D. got involved. She met Sean late in her first year at Sacred Heart and initiated the dating herself, but also ends the relationship due to her demanding job. ("My Sacrificial Clam") They run into each other again two years later at Sacred Heart and soon begin dating again. ("My Own American Girl") Although things seemed to be set between the two, Elliot slept with J.D. while Sean was away in New Zealand for six months. ("His Story II") When he returns, she chooses Sean over J.D., but after some thought she lets Sean go for J.D. ("My Fault") The two are at odds with each other. ("My Best Friend's Wedding") At Turk and Carla's wedding, he is shown to be homeless. When J.D. and Elliot became a serious couple and Sean started dating Kim, they became more cordial. ("My Cuz")
- See Category:Elliot's Romantic Partners for a list.
Besides J.D., Sean, and Keith Elliot has had very few other romantic involvements since she started working at Sacred Heart. In her second year she saw Nurse Paul Flowers, and in her fourth year she saw Jake, but neither panned out. She revealed to Carla that before Sacred Heart she had never had an orgasm. ("My Balancing Act") but in a conflicting previous episode, she tells a story about how several guys posed for their high school yearbooks using her "orgasm face" (this conflict assumes she wasn't faking in high school.) This also conflicts with "My Last Day" in which Jordan says, "You're the girl who tried to convince herself that she wanted to lose her virginity at a frat party with a guy sleeping in the same room", to which Elliot replies, "Chad really cared", contradicting her chance of an orgasm in High School.
- Apple related things
- Being Independent
- Bel Biv DeVoe
- Ketchup on Cereal (while pregnant).
- Orange Soda
- Red Wine
- The Honey Festival
- The Republican Party
- When her significant other says "intercourse" in a flirty way
- Camping (after seeing the Blair Witch Project and the fact that a wolf mounted her)
- Her bajingo
- Her eyebrows
- Her feet/toes
- Her parents
- Redheads ("My Soul on Fire, Part 1")
- Small hands
- Someone talking to her while SHE is on the toilet
- Someone talking to her while they are on the toilet.
- Swearing or sex-related words
- Thongs (she revealed to Carla that she has a hard time sitting down while wearing them).
- When she bends over, her extra vertebra gives her the impression of "camel-butt"
- Full list: Elliot's nicknames
- Janitor often calls Elliot "Blonde Doctor", but rarely to her face.
- Dr. Cox often calls Elliot "Barbie" or some variation.
- Keith , Dr. Kelso , and other people commenting on hospital drama regarding Elliot's love life have called Elliot various offensive names such as "Whore" or "Skank". She seems to let these roll off her back.
- Laverne often calls Elliot "Marshmallow" because she is 'very white'.
- J.D and Turk refer to Elliot "Mole Butt" in "Her Story II" when listing women with whom J.D. has had failed relationships.
- In high school she played the tuba but this left her with abnormally muscley forearms.
- When Elliot was a teenager, she tried to kill herself by drowning in a lake. She failed to work up the courage to go under, and was instead pummeled by her schools passing rowing team, and was carried back to shore. ("My Fishbowl")
- When Elliot was a teenager, she probably had some form of sexual relation with her swim coach. She also hints that this may have been rape, as it appears to be directly connected to her desire to commit suicide. ("My Fishbowl")
- Elliot is a big fan of U2 and Bel Biv DeVoe. ("My Kingdom")
- Elliot went to Brown University, as shown in Turk's booty review ("My Turf War")
- When Elliot's head gets too hot she urinates, which is why she decided not to kill herself by sticking her head in the oven like Sylvia Plath did. ("My Fishbowl")
- Was born via caesarean section. ("His Story III")
- She has once said that both her brothers are doctors, but her gay brother Barry Reid has been said to be a lap-dancer for gay businessmen.
- Elliot has abnormal thigh strength. She can snap a cafeteria tray in half with her thighs, and can support at least two people on her shoulders, as well as run part of a triathlon while carrying a passenger piggy-back.
- Elliot also has abnormal finger strength. She can pry open an elevator door, punch out J.D. with her pinky and managed to take off the co from chief resident for J.D. when he struggled to do it with tools.
- She has an irrational, petrifying fear of redheads, once even calling them "God's mistakes.", she is also shown to dislike Ladinia Williams after she reveals that she is a natural redhead ("My Soul on Fire, Part 1")
- Elliot's pager's ringtone is "That's The Way I Like It".
- Elliot's cellphone ringtone is "Jesus Take the Wheel" by Carrie Underwood.
- Elliot has unusually cold hands. ("My Day Off")
- Elliot sneezes with her eyes open. ("My Self-Examination")
- She speaks both French and German. She once used her fluency in German to avenge herself on Dr. Cox after he slighted her, when he asked her to tell him how say "You have fluid on your lungs" to a burly German patient. Instead she told him to say "Ihre Frau hat einen schönen Busen." ("Your wife has nice cans", or more literally, "Your woman has a nice bosom"), which led to the patient violently ejecting Dr. Cox from his room. Also she speaks those languages in one of Denise's fantasies, while she does her trademark "I told you so, dance."
- Once Elliot snapped from everyone (except her) having babies (such as J.D. and Dr. Cox), so she decided that her interns were her "babies".
- For an unknown reason, cats go crazy if she even makes eye contact with them. However, she's said she's had cats in earlier episodes.
- Elliot was in calligraphy camp and wrote "Dumb Frick" on Keith Dudemeister's scrubs when he got the font wrong on their wedding invitations. ("My Conventional Wisdom")
- Elliot has a great-aunt Sally and a great-uncle that's demented, wears an eye-patch, and goes "honk-honk" when he poops. ("My Lucky Night")
- Elliot's butt is referenced many times throughout the show on many different episodes. She and others have talked about her camel-butt, J.D. and Turk talk about her flat-butt, others have talked about her mole-butt, and her butt was included in the butt-rating on the men's room stall. In "My First Day", J.D. says that her butt looks like "two pringles hugging" and in "His Story II" Turk's narration says "Elliot's got a nice ass for a white chick," although the men's room rating gives her 9.2 out of 100. Though Kelso was the one who said it was out of 100 he may have just been insulting her. Later Carla threatens to change the rating. If it was really that low it wouldn't have worked
- Elliot once spent a summer in a clown school. ("His Story II")
- Elliot is strong enough to lift J.D. high above her head, even with one arm.
- Elliot is exceptionally strong when she's mad.
- Elliot had wanted to be a prima ballerina when she was little, but her mother told her girls with "scoliosis and giant man-feet aren't dancer material." ("My Best Moment")
- Elliot claims that she never wanted to be a doctor. She originally wanted to be a gymnast, but her cousin put a piece of uncooked pasta in her ear, which ruined her equilibrium. ("Our White Coats")
- Elliot claims to be a vegetarian and says that she eats meat for her unborn baby. However she has been seen eating meat at various points before she becomes pregnant.
- Elliot is an incredibly heavy sleeper. At one point she does not wake up after J.D. throws her off of him, falls on top of her, spanks her, and pulls her back on top of him. ("My Self-Examination")
- The speed dial on Elliot's phone is always set so number 1 is a constipation hotline, and number 2 is her current boyfriend. ("My Drive-By")
- It is unclear if she has chosen to take Dorian as her surname, although in a professional manner she is still referred to as Dr. Reid. ("Our New Girl-Bro")
- Elliot and J.D.'s daughter was conceived under a Christmas tree (not at their home, though, it was still in the lot). ("Our White Coats")
- Elliot is a "bajingo sister" to Kim Briggs ("My Cuz") and Jordan Sullivan.
- “"Frick", "Frick on a stick", "Double Frick", "Frick on a Stick with a Brick", "Double Frick on a Stick with a Brick"!”
- → See and enjoy 433 pictures of Elliot Reid at Images of Elliot Reid.